The Brewno Controller V2 board mates with an Arduino Uno r3 and an LCD Display to provide a compact, digital alternative to the traditional PID controllers in electric brew panels. The assembly will mount directly to the front of a brew panel; a view port in the front of the panel is required to view the LCD screen.
The Brewno Controller board has 4 user configurable control loops. Each control loop has a corresponding RTD Input, Solid State Relay Output and Auto / Manual toggle. The board design allows for Bluetooth connectivity via a plug and play HC-05 module and has an integrate AC to DC converter. Local user input is via 2 rotary encoders that can be direct mount on the board, or remote mount if cabling is used.
A PC program is available on this site to allow users to interface with the Brewno V2 controller. The PC program is required to for initial setup (ie. configure each controller’s settings); once the controller has been configured the controller operates completely independent from the PC program. In addition to configuring the controller, the PC program may be used during a brew to data log the process. This may be done through a physical USB connection or wireless via Blue Tooth of an HC05 module is plugged in.
- 4x 3-Wire PT100 RTDs (see RTD Shield specification for additional details specific to RTD readings)
- ±0.2°C (±0.36°F) – note that overall reading accuracy will be impacted by sensor accuracy and wiring, calibration of the RTD is essential to achieve accurate readings
- 4x Independent User Configurable Loops – each loop may be configured in 1 of 6 different ways; see the Controller Details section for further information:
- PID Control with % Manual Mode
- PID Control with On/Off Manual Mode
- Hysteresis with % Manual Mode
- Hysteresis with On/Off Manual Mode
- Temperature Readings Only (No Control)
- Not Required (Control Loop Not Used)
- 4x 5VDC Outputs Limited to a max 16.7mA each – Primarily Designed for use with SSRs
- 2x Binary Rotary Encoders each with integrated push button switch – direct mount to PCB or remote mount at users discretion; used for adjusting set points at control panel.
- 4x Auto/Manual Toggles – designed with weak pull up resistors to default to Manual Mode for each controller. Auto mode is engaged for the corresponding control loop when these toggles are pulled low (ie. to ground)
- 1x 120VAC Power Input
Off Board Communication
- 1x USB via Arduino Uno Board
- 1x Expansion Slot for HC-05 Bluetooth Module for wireless communication with PCs (USB connection must be used to upload new code to the Arduino board and Bluetooth must be disconnected to avoid communication errors; typically only required during initial setup)
- 4x M2.5 x 8mm Male x Female Standoffs (LCD to Panel)
- 4x M2.5 x 12mm Male x Female Standoffs (Brewno to LCD)
- 3x M2.5 x 15mm Male x Female Standoffs (Brewno to Arduino)
- 6x M2.5 x 6mm (below head) Machine Screws
- 6x M2.5 Nuts
I always buy a few extra; you tend to drop at least one. I bought mine through Digi-Key. Note that I only used 3 standoffs with the Arduino board as the one mounting hole is too close to the SCL pin and a nut would touch; 3 is plenty stable here though.
Build Your Own
See the RTD Shield section for help on how to put one of these together. The Eagle files, Gerber files and Bill of Material are all available for Download for both the Brewno Controller and Brewno RTD shield.